To achieve this we have developed a network of local churches and organizations. Over the past year your support has positioned KAYN to provide support to our students including:
- A weekly evening program for students throughout the school year held at the local YMCA facility.
- Helped us to take a group of students to New York City to learn how to minister to the needs of the homeless. Of course there was hands-on time spent on the streets applying what they learned.
- Provided a “character coach” for several of the high school sports teams including football, basketball and softball. Also a monthly champions breakfast for all school athletes.
- Sponsored an assembly for all high school students this spring through Jon Pritikin and “Feel the Power”. Jon uses feats of strength and story to help kids understand the negative impacts of bullying and the need to accept all kids for who they are.
We are also excited to announce the purchase of a building in Vandergrift to be used as our KAYN Youth Center. We were able to obtain this facility at a very low cost in the perfect central location to the Kiski Area School District. Once renovated, we will hold our various student programs from this location. KAYN also plans to host the “5th Quarter” program this fall in the youth center. This after home football game event provides hundreds of students with a safe and fun environment to gather after the game.
Of course the renovations come with a cost. We have two phases planned at $55,000 each for a total cost of $110,000. We already have $20,000 dedicated towards this effort with a target of completing phase 1 by this coming school year. With your help and support we can make that a reality!
Dr. Joshua C. Strunk, his wife Allissa and their 9 children have been a part of our community since September of 2011 when he began pastoring the Community Church of Pine Run EMC in Apollo. Dr. Strunk earned his Bachelors in Bible/ Theology and Pastoral Ministry at John Wesley University before earning both his Masters in Religion and his Masters of Divinity at Liberty Theological Seminary. In 2015 Dr. Strunk completed his Doctorate in Educational Leadership from Liberty University and began teaching as an online adjunct for Ohio Christian University. Starting in August 2016 Dr. Strunk became the Interim Director of the Kiski Area Youth Network.
Our Board of Directors:
- President – Duane Prusia, Parent
- Vice President – Brian Fisher, Parent
- Treasurer – Andy Evans
- Secretary – Bethany Pounds, Kiski Alumna
- Vicki Prusia, Parent
- Paul Musser, Parent
- Frank Collins, Parent
- JoAnn Wesolosky, Parent and Teacher
- Allan Edwards, Parent and Pastor
Support KAYN when you shop at Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/46-3174187